If Disaster Strikes
If a disaster should strike it is important to remain calm and patient. You have made a plan, now put it in action.
- Check for injuries and get help for seriously injured people if possible.
- Listen to your battery powered radio for news and instructions.
- Evacuate if advised to do so.
- Be sure to wear protective clothing and sturdy shoes.
Evacuate immediately if told to do so:
- Listen to your battery-powered radio and follow the instructions of local emergency officials.
- Take your family disaster supplies kit.
- Lock your home.
- Use travel routes specified by local authorities, don't use shortcuts because certain areas may be impassable or dangerous.
If time allows:
- Shut off water, gas, and electricity.
- Post a note telling others when you left and where you are going.
- Make arrangements for your pets.